The Goldsmiths’ Company, Goldsmiths’ Hall, London.
The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths, more commonly known as the Goldsmiths’ Company, is one of the Twelve Great Livery Companies of the City of London and received its first royal charter in 1327.
The Hall is the third on this site, the Goldsmiths’ Company being located there since 1339. The present Hall, by Philip Hardwick, remains much as he designed it, although there have been changes to the decorative schemes and the use of rooms.
Goldsmiths’ Hall Drawing Room, Furniture Restoration
The restoration of Goldsmiths’ Hall was overseen by the architect Rodney Melville OBE MSc. Dip.Arch. RIBA.
The Drawing Room chairs and sofas were made for the new Hall in 1835 by W & C Wilkinson. The fabric is mid-late 18th century in a rococo revival style and was redrawn from remaining fragments in the Hall archive.
There is another version of the same design in the Warner Archive. The Goldsmiths’ have also loaned a gilt chair and fly chair from this restoration to the Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A), London where they are currently on display in the British Galleries.
Project reference: 2110