Elton Hall, near Peterborough
An extraordinary, romantic, part-gothic historic house near Peterborough in Cambridgeshire, that has been in the Proby Family for 400 years.
The Drawing Room
Pure Silk Damask for walling and curtains
The Drawing Room was created out of the medieval chapel. In 1860, the bookcases were taken out and put in the library next door; the fireplace was moved to the Dining Room and intricate and grand pilasters were added, creating spaces to hang silk.
Elaborate curtains in the same material were made. The room is still furnished in a similar style and the Reynolds’ portraits remain where they were first hung.
The original damask design was copied and a small area of preserved silk colour was uncovered, which gave direction for the new Celadon shade to be developed.
Project References: 2825/28
Humphries Weaving also provided a textured plain for curtain linings.
Project References: 2825/26
The curtain treatment was designed by Ann Lister under the direction of Lady Proby. Charles Hesp, of Hesp and Jones hung the wall silk as well as undertaking a rejuvenation of the original gilding.