Osterley Park House, Middlesex.
The House was commissioned in 1761 by the banker Robert Child and was designed by the architect Robert Adam in the Neo classical style. Its interiors are one of Britain’s most complete examples of Robert Adam’s work.
The House and park were given to the National Trust in 1949 by the Earl of Jersey. The furniture was purchased by the nation and placed in the custody of the Victoria & Albert Museum and the house administers. The property is currently leased to the Department of the Environment.
Mr & Mrs Child’s Dressing Rooms
Curtain restoration in Mr & Mrs Child’s Dressing Rooms.
The antechambers to Mr & Mrs Child’s state bedroom were renovated to match each other and the curtains were copied from those still surviving in the bedroom itself. The dressing room curtains replaced ‘blue lustring festoon curtains’ as listed in the 1782 inventory.
Humphries Weaving supplied silk lute in turquoise blue.
Project reference: 459
Gilt Chair Restoration
Fabric for the restoration of Gilt Chairs.
Silk and wool narrow damask woven in pea green for the restoration of gilt chairs in the long gallery. This design is a damask version of the Arkesdon pattern. It was a popular style of ribbon and bow style which can be seen at Holkham Hall, Kedlesdon Hall, Audley End, Ven House and Syon Park. The shade of pea green was very difficult to achieve with many shade trials overseen by the Tom Helme on behalf of the National Trust.
Project reference: 1501