Ranger’s House, Blackheath, London.
Ranger’s House, a palladian style Georgian villa, was built in the early 18th Century by Vice Admiral Francis Hosier. Originally known as Chesterfield House, it was passed to the Crown in the early 19th century and was first used as the official residence of the Ranger of Greenwich Park. At the invitation of The Queen, Lord Wolseley and his family moved from their former home in London to the much grander Rangers House in 1888. The house was then renovated in 1897 and became a sports and social club.
The property is an elegant Georgian villa, of palladian style, in Greenwich Park which houses The Wernher Collection, a remarkable collection of works of art amassed by diamond magnate Sir Julius Wernher (1850-1912), on a 125 year loan to English Heritage from the Wernher Foundation. The house is now owned by English Heritage, with over 700 works of art on display to the public.