Musee National Suisse (The Swiss National Museum), Chateau de Prangins, Switzerland.
Chateau de Prangins makes up one of three museum locations that make up the Swiss National Museum Group. The permanent exhibitions at the museums present Swiss history from its beginnings to the present, and give an insight into Swiss identities and the country’s history and culture.
Chateau de Prangins dates back to 1730 and is located just outside of Nyon, high above Lake Geneva. It is a fine example of a living castle, bringing history to life and has undergone meticulous restoration to return it to its former glory for visitors.
Fabric for the restoration of walling and furniture in the Saloon.
The Swiss National Museum holds an eighteenth century document of crimson 1730’s damask and the inventories of the Chateau mention this. Humphries Weaving have two versions of this design in our archive and the closest design was chosen.
The crimson shade was researched under the direction of Curator and Project Manager Helen Bieri Thomson. The pure silk damask is featured on the restored Saloon furniture and walling.
The same design can be seen at Hampton Court Palace, Marlborough House and Buckland Park, Oxfordshire. The design was photographed at the V&A Museum, and is shown in V&A publications and a version of it is in the Warner Textile Archive.
Project reference: 2235 / 2238