National Liberal Club, London.
The National Liberal Club London, sits on the Embankment on the river Thames at Whitehall Place. The impressive building in the neo – Gothic style, was designed by Alfred Waterhouse, who perhaps is best known for his designing of the Natural History Museum in South Kensington.
The Liberal Club was completed in 1887 and remains the largest ever purpose built club. Established by William Ewart Gladstone in 1882, the club itself remains independent from any political party and was designed to provide club facilities for its members ranging from interests in Liberal arts to Liberal politics, in the heart of London. It was one of the first gentleman’s club to admit women as full members.
The Smoking Room
The Smoking Room Window Drapes.
Broadloom window drapes in field green for one of the reception rooms known as “The Smoking Room” Woven in a figured silk/cotton/viscose Tissue.
The design is Italian from the late 17th Century and can be seen Hampton Court Palace, The Metropolitan Museum of Art New York, on the 17th Century English bed and there is also a version in the Warner Textile Archive.
Project reference: 2196