The Brompton Oratory, also known as The Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, is a large neo-classical Roman Catholic Church in South Kensington, London, and is closely connected with the London Oratory School.
The foundation stone of the Oratory was laid in 1880 and the building was consecrated in 1884. The Oratory is faced with Portland stone, Devon marble is used in the major order of pilasters and the minor order of columns, with more exotic marbles in the apse and the altars, with carvings in metalwork, plasterwork, wood and stone. It was the largest Catholic church in London before the opening of Westminster Cathedral in 1903, and has conducted wedding ceremonies for some very well-known people including Stéphane Mallarmé, Elward Elgar, Alfred Hitchcock and James Hunt. The church also serves as a parish church to the Roman Catholic diocese of Westminster, London.
Humphries Weaving was appointed to weave pure silk damask fabric in green for Alter frontals in the Sacristan of the Brompton Oratory in South Kensignton, London, There is another version of the 15th Century woven deisgn in 1922 in the Warner Textile Archive.
Project reference: 1250