Lady Lever Art Gallery

Lady Lever Art Gallery, Liverpool

The Lady Lever Art Gallery houses one of the UK’s finest collections of fine and decorative art. It has the best representation of Wedgwood jasperware anywhere in the world and its gallery of Pre-Raphaelite paintings is internationally renowned.

The gallery was founded by William Hesketh Lever (1851-1925) and opened in 1922 by Princess Beatrice, the youngest daughter of Queen Victoria. The museum is a significant surviving example of late Victorian and Edwardian taste and remains the only major public urban gallery built by its founder to house its originally intended collection.

Lady Lever Art Gallery Ref 1092

William Davidson Chinoiserie Chair c 1766

Humphries Weaving were appointed to weave a silk damask woven narrow in dark blue and gold fabric for the restoration of a set of Chinoiserie chairs. There is a document of this fabric in the Warner Textile Archive.

The chair is from a set of seven (and a further sofa) the suite was made by William Davidson for Sir John (Later Lord) Delaval at Ford Castle, Northumberland.

Project reference: 1092

Gilt Stool

Humphries Weaving were also commissioned to weave a narrow woven silk damask in crimson for the upholstery of a gilt stool.

Project reference: 1808/b

000