Charlecote Park, Warwickshire .
A superb Tudor house, home to the Lucy family since the 12th Century, the family remain in the private wings and allow the National Trust to open the remainder of the house for the public to enjoy.
Many generations of the Lucy family changed and modernised the house including George Hammond Lucy (1823) who wished it to be thoroughly Elizabethan. He and his wife Mary Elizabeth, of whom chronicled all aspects of life at Charlecote with treasures from their European travels, extended the house and refitted all of the rooms. The house hasn’t much been altered since an extension to the family wing in 1865.
Wall covering for the Saloon.
Pure silk damask broadloom woven in marigold for wall coverings in the Saloon. This width of cloth showed wealth as four widths of a mans hand signalled a higher price paid but bigger patterns. A new Jacquard harness was build especially at deVere Mill Castle Hedingham Essex in order to weave this fabric. The original walling was removed from the house to copy and found to have been woven on a faulty loom. The faults were faithfully reapplied to the rewoven cloth. There is another version of this design held in the Warner Textile Archive.
Project reference: 588