Tredegar House, Newport, Wales.
One of Wales’ architectural wonders, the house was built in 1793 and was home to the influential family the Morgan’s, later Lords of Tredegar, until the family departure in 1951. The Morgans owned over 40,000 acres of land throughout south and mid wales by the end of the 18th century. An extensive period of restoration commenced in the late 1970’s and the house is now managed by the National Trust for the public to enjoy.
The house reflects the interests and passions of its owners throughout the centuries and was famous for wild parties in the 1930’s, which are recreated today.
Silk and wool fabrics for interior restoration.
Firstly pure silk damasks in both blue and crimson, used for wall coverings and curtains in unspecified rooms.
This design was redrawn by the Humphries Weaving studio from remaining fragments of the original fabric found at the house. This original document is now part of the Humphries archive.
Project References Damask: Blue, 377 / 572 & Red, 378
We then later supplied all worsted Camlet in shades of red, rust and green.
Project references Camlet: Green, 478 / 567, Rust 568, Red 570 & 442 / 570