Treasurers House, York.
Dating from medieval times with additional 16th and 20th Century decoration the house was originally home to the Treasurers of York Minster. The original house was built over a Roman road that led to Roman York, remains of this road can be found in the cellar. The house is now managed by the National Trust and was one of the first properties ever given over to them with a complete collection.
The house holds one man’s remarkable collection of antique furniture, ceramics, textiles and paintings from a 300-year period.
Pure silk damask in pale yellow to upholster sofas.
The design is also featured at Osterly Park (National Trust) and Audley End (English Heritage) and another version is also held in the Warner Textile Archive. Although this design is to be seen in many classic interiors and the style is after the Italian style of the mid 18th Century, we have not found any reference other than late 19th Century.
Project Reference: 1683
Also a fine silk and cotton poplin stripe which was copied by the Humphries Weaving studio from an original house document.
Project Reference: 1779