Hughenden Manor, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.
A Georgian estate previously occupied by Benjamin Disraeli, Queen Victoria’s Prime Minister, who lived here from 1848 until his death in 1881.
The current house was built at the end of the 18th century and remodeled in 1862 by architect Edward Buckton Lamb. Hughenden was bought by Disraeli in 1848 and was his country residence. He divided his time between his country residence and London houses with his wife Mary Anne. It is also thought that Hughenden played a significant role during World War II as a secret intelligent base.
The estate today is owned and managed by the National Trust and is open to the public.
The Drawing Room
Window Drape and Furniture Restoration.
Humphries weaving supplied silk and cotton watered satin stripe in yellow/gold for the restoration of the Drawing Room curtains and furniture.
The width of stripes had changed with fashion and extra-large layouts in furnishings became popular. This bold stripe in a self-colour vivid yellow in plain tabby and satin, relies on the contrast of weave structures alone between the plain and satin textures to create the status demanded by the design of the furniture.
Project reference: 972